RE: [evolution-disc.] UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: ktm@Unify.Com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:51:14 -0700
While I will whole heartedly agree that Heyward is _much_ better at
marketing that I am :-),  there are a few points to be made here:

1) Any newby to autocross is likely:
        a) not to have one of the car(s) for the class
        b) not to have that car prepped to the max of the rules
        c) not to have the skill (yet) to be a top contender

2) There is only one two ST classes - a subset of cars is going to be the
ones to have.  Should those be newer cars?  Maybe.  That certainly raises
the entry level for the class.  Certainly when compared to the Escort GT,
Sentra S-R, Honda Civic current group.  The Subies for Pro's is another
matter.

3) Rules are simply a preparation level, once you get past the
marketing/charter/target audience.  In every class there is the chance to
spends lots of coin to go faster.  In both stock and STS you can take your
perfectly good engine out, bore it to the first factory overbore, deck the
head to the min. factory spec.  I don't see that being done in ST yet, but
if it isn't, it will be soon.  I _know_ it's done in stock.

I'd bet that a good percentage of cars featured in Sport Compact and the
like are not legal for ST as it exists now.

Kevin McCormick
'88 STS Civic