Re: U/B in ST

To: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U/B in ST
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:29:16 -0400
--On Friday, May 14, 2004 8:33 AM -0700 "Steven T. Ekstrand"
<cyberlaw@earthlink.net> wrote:
> ??????   In Stock class you can't use a factory replacement/warranty
> motor??? I'm talking indentical part and casting number, same year,
> factory sealed motor?
>
> I spend 20 years helping build recordholding NHRA Stockers and I never
> encountered a tenth of the rules silliness I've faced running SCCA the
> past 4 years.

Steve,

The silliness you see has little to do with the SCCA and its rules; it's
all about people who aren't bothering to read the rulebook.

Of course you can use a factory replacement/warranty motor.  That is a
legitimate configuration as defined by 12.4 and 13.0.

People have made this argument about update/backdate all the time, saying
that without it you can't go to a junkyard and take parts off another car
if it wasn't the same year.  But that's not how it works.  If it's the same
part number or an authorized replacement/superceded part, you can use it.
Junkyards are still excellent parts sources.  Most parts don't wind up
changing year by year.

That's all unofficial, of course, but I'm perplexed by any other
interpretation of the words in the book.

Mark