Re: U/B in ST

Subject: Re: U/B in ST
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:56:08 -0400
On May 15, 2004, at 8:33 AM, Jay Mitchell wrote:
>> If the factory service manual says something to the effect of
> "in the
>> event that the roof needs to be replaced, cut the old roof off
> at point
>> X and weld on factory part #N in its place.  Grind, prime and
> paint to
>> match."  then what?

> You can legally _repair_ a car using parts specified for that
> model and that year by the manufacturer, and using methods also
> specified by the manufacturer. We're discussing something
> entirely different.

> Jay

        That's where we disagree.  Consider the following assumptions:

You are in a class where UD/BD is legal.
You want to stiffen/lighten your car by removing the factory sunroof
and replacing the top with a factory all-steel (fiberglass, whatever)
one.
The factory manual specifies how such a swap is done.

        Under your reading (which may well be the SEBs reading as well, I
haven't been reading the SP/ST rulings as I run stock), if it is a
plastic top that bolts on then I can do it.  If it is a steel top that
I have to cut away at the pillars and weld on, then it is illegal.  But
it would be legal if I bought a hail totaled car, because then it would
be a repair.  Does that make any sense?  I don't think so.

David