Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van
From: Dave Hardy <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:12:07 -0500 (EST)
I am shopping for another van.  I loved my '94 E350 Clubwagon Chateau, but
somebody did a U turn in front of me and I T-Boned them, totalling both cars in
the process.

I am now shopping for a replacement.  I want another 92+ E350 Clubwagon, but
I'm wondering if I want to open up the possibilities to an extended van.  I
don't need the extra room, but it just gives me more options, since it's a
pretty rare combination to begin with (nice van, 1 ton chassis) and a lot of
the Club Wagons were built on the extended chassis (think church bus).  My
concern is how the extra length will effect towing.  I've towed with a full
size pickup and didn't really like the way it felt - sort of like the trailer
was steering the truck.  Now this was a 1/2 ton Chevy fullsize longbed, so it
isn't a direct comparison.  I just wonder if that feeling was more due to the
additional length between the rear axle and hitch, or if it was just because it
was a relatively light truck.

Boiled down, will the extra 12-18" of the extended van make it feel like the
trailer is pushing me around?

Thanks,
Dave Hardy
DILYSI Motorsports - Drive It Like You Stole It!