Re: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van

To: Dave Hardy <dave2020@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:12:12 -0600
Dave:

I feel your pain with the van being totaled.  We have used a 77 E350 460 ci
Window Van, an 89 E350 460 ci Club Wagon and our current 97 V10 Heavy Duty
Club Wagon and enjoyed all of them.

My guess is that the extended van with be marginally worse for towing
because the leverage of the trailer tongue will be about 25% greater.  That
said, since the Heavy Duty Fords seem to tow our 24' enclosed trailer so
well, I don't think it will be a problem. FWIW, I set the trailer to 1000
to 1200 lbs tongue weight, have 1000 lb. bars on the equalizer, and no sway
control.

Greg Scharnberg