RE: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van

To: "Sam & Greg Scharnberg" <samandgreg@netins.net>,
Subject: RE: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:31:50 -0800
I don't know much about vans in general, but FWIW, I was just issued a
Chevy 2500 extended van at work and the wheelbase is WAAAAY longer than
the standard length models. It rides real nice with about 1000lbs of
stuff in back (it's a cargo van). I don't know how married you are to a
Ford, but
maybe there is a variation at the house-of-GM that would work for you.
Might be worth a look. Another thought; you can get an Excursion (kinda
van sized) with the diesel engine. Power and mileage.

No bias here; I own a 2003 Ram Quad Cab with a Leer shell. If only it
had the Cummins.

Bruce

My guess is that the extended van with be marginally worse for towing
because the leverage of the trailer tongue will be about 25% greater.
That
said, since the Heavy Duty Fords seem to tow our 24' enclosed trailer so

well, I don't think it will be a problem. FWIW, I set the trailer to
1000
to 1200 lbs tongue weight, have 1000 lb. bars on the equalizer, and no
sway
control.