RE: More van questions - BB vs. SB mileage, durability?

To: dave2020@mindspring.com, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: More van questions - BB vs. SB mileage, durability?
From: "Don Kline" <solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:26:54 -0500
Dave,

I wish I could afford to buy that 460 for myself.  I've had 2 1990 Fords
with the 351.  One extended and the other the regular long wheelbase model.
I didn't really notice any differences between the two for towing a flat
front, partially enclosed trailer with a total weight of about 4000lb (car,
traile and stuff).  Both have given about the same mileage of 12-15 not
towing and 8 (yes eight) when towing.  Both have the E4OD transmission and
as per owners manual I've towed with the overdrive turned off.  A friend
with an extended Ford with the 460 and older C6 trans gets  10 all the
time.......empty or towing the 24ft 9000lb enclosed trailer.  That's with an
old, needing replacement carb.  I'd hope the newer version with FI would be
no worse and maybe a little better.  Personally I hate the fact that my 1989
E150 with the 300 6cyl and 3speed automatic got 14-15 empty and 10 towing
the same trailer that the 351 only gets 8 with.  As always...YMMV.

in HIM, Don Kline