Re: air latch vs electric door solenoid

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: air latch vs electric door solenoid
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 05:00:53 -0500
John I disagree with you on their superiority, They may be at least equal to
the old electromagnet ones BUT they are not as good as the less expensive
gear driven GM style ones. They can be retrofitted much easier and at a much
lower cost. The new ones pull hard enough to open the door under load of the
cylinder and draw much less than the original. GM has them wired in to their
cars with 18 gauge wire so that means no more than a few amps of draw. If
your wire is still good in the door you can retrofit the new gm ones with
the skin on by making a simple bracket. I may just make up some brackets and
do an article for you. If you get the parts at "pick a part" the factory
bracket can be screwed to the door easily ( at least for me).