re: Tell me how to tow my LBC

To: DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Subject: re: Tell me how to tow my LBC
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 16 Jun 1992 13:15 EDT
>I'm moving down to Arizona State Uni at the end of August. I have my 1980
>VW Vanagon Camper, and my 77 Midget.  The camper has a tow hitch on the back
>with 1500 lbs on it, and the Midget weighs 3000 lbs.
>
>So do you think the VW is up to towing the Midget all the way from Eugene OR
>down to Phoenix Az (if I get a more heavy duty tow bar and take it easy)??
>
>And can I tow the Midget with all 4 wheels on the ground for 2000 miles?  I'm
>sure a car dolly would be better, but if its OK to do it without why not??
>I'm worried about the rotation of the wheels without the rotation of the
>engine,as i know this shou>ld not be done over long distances on SOME cars.

I "flat towed" one of my TR-3s almost 2000 miles roundtrip from
Nj to Georgia and back.  No problems.  By the way,
I doubt that the Midget actually weighs 3000 pounds.  It's
probaly more like 2200 or so.  I can't think of any
special reason that the Midget might be more susteptable
to any damage than a TR-3.  Some newer cars and most automatics
can have drivetrain problems, but the midget drivetrain is
vintage 1960's and I really doubt you'd have any trouble.
If you are really worried about damage to the Midget, then
just disconect and remove the driveshaft for the trip.

As to the campers bumper hitch rating of 1500 pounds, that
is clearly not up to the task although you might try it locally
to see how it handles.
As with most safety ratings, there's probably a considerable
margin of safety beyond that 1500 pound rating.  Too be
the safest, however, why not just have a higher rated tow
hitch installed at one of those towing places?  It woill
still be cheaper than having the car transported and you end up with
a new, higher rated hitch on your camper.
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com