re: Darn that Roland.... NOT!

To: ERIC@chip.cba.ufl.edu
Subject: re: Darn that Roland.... NOT!
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 22 Sep 1992 9:31 EDT
>Confession:  before becoming a LBC owner ('80 Spit) I was into
>"Detroit Iron" with a vengeance -- owning a Dodge Charger w/ 360
>Interceptor, '69 and '70 Mustangs with 302 & 351, and a Chevelle SS
>at different times.
>
>Roland's recent posts about driving his Cobra have re-kindled my lust
>for POWER!  (Keep 'em coming, please!)  Of course, the fact that the
>Spitfire has <70HP doesn't help, either.
>
>So... what I really need is a FBC (FAST British Car)... but I
>certainly can't afford a Snake of my own :-(  Any recommendations
>that you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated!  I really love
>the handling of a lbc roadster, but miss raw unadulterated
>acceleration.  (Some people never grow up :-)  The only Britcars I've
>ever driven are TR7, Spitfire, MG Midget, MGB (all late '70s models).
>I'm sure that something must fit the bill, and that one of you knows
>what!

I'd suggest the best LBC you can get today that comes close to satisfying
your thirst for power is a Triumph TR-8.  Prices on good TR-8's are still
below $10,000 and many "average" condition cars can be had for under $7000.
If you don't need a convertible, you can find 1978 (prototype) coupes
and 1980 coupes going for around $5000 or so.

The TR-8 has an excellent 3.5 litre V8 (Rover)  and it's lineage goes
back to the Buick/Pontiac 215 c.i. V8s in the early 60's that were
in the Buick Special and Pontiac Tempests.

Certainly there are other V8 LBC's or more exotic engine types around,
but given your "Detroit Iron" roots, the TR-8 does very nicely and
is by far the most reasonable in price.

I have an '81 convertible and there are about a dozen of us TR-8 owners
that also have a separate TR-8 email list, so if you want to get involved
before possibly buying an 8, let me know and we'll get you added to the
TR-8 list.  I'm also posting this reply to the '8' list so the other
8 owners can contact you if they wish.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Note - If email replying to me with an automatic addressing process
bounces, manually address the resend using one of the addresses below.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com