re: Darn that Roland.... NOT!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Darn that Roland.... NOT!
From: Ed Devinney <pismobch@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1992 08:31:30 -0700
TeriAnn writes:
>>>There is always the Triumph Stag.  Examples without engines can be
purchased
at a reasonable cost.  Since it came with a V8 there is plenty of space
to drop in a Rover V8... I wonder if a 426 Hemi would fit?
<<<

Well, it was made witha V8, but the largest that will easily fit are the
small-block Ford and Chevy.  The Ford is narrower and makes for better
access, but is longer than the Chevy.  The Ford's also lighter.  I really
wanted a small Chrysler (340), but it's just a little too big.  The Rover
V8 is nice and compact and makes a good fit.

I realize that the 426 Hemi suggestion was probably made in jest, but
that's take a boatload of work - the Hemi is extremely wide, due to the
heads (and the big-block bottom end).  It also weighs a ton.  OK, only
1/3 of a ton, but it's exceedingly heavy as well.

And I don't think the little Herald/GT6 (?) diff would last more than
about 0.05 seconds behind even a stock 426 :-)

ed devinney                                             pismobch@well.sf.ca.us
        "I don't know what the world may need,
         but a V8 engine's a good start for me..." - Cracker