Re: Radar and others.

To: Paul Osborne <paul@ee.rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: Radar and others.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 14:14:28 -0500 (EST)

and on Mon, 24 Jan 1994, Paul Osborne wrote:

>       that came with your car, the spedo, you would not be looking
>       for a device to look for the radar. I sugest that you use
>       that device that came with your car and slow down before you
>       do something to yourself or someone else that will cost more
>       than you can aford.

I bet Mr. Osborne will be more sympathetic when something similar happens
to him.  In 39 years of driving up to 30K miles/yr I have rarely seen a
ticket given to someone I felt was truly driving dangerously.  Radar, in
fact, can't easily single out cars driven too fast in heavy traffic.  It
excels at nailing drivers who exceed the limit in good weather and light
traffic.  Did anyone ever see radar being operated at 6 p.m. in heavy rain
on 128 near Boston?  I think not, though the traffic there terrifies me
(and I have driven 100K miles on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago).  How
about at the bottom of a long hill on an interstate on a sunny Sunday
afternoon?  Yup.  Any Sunday you care to look, nailing them perps.

My ex- gave me all kinds of grief when I bought my radar detector.  A
month later she got a ticket for 47 in a 35 zone on a deserted, straight
country road in sunshine at 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning.  Never heard
another peep from her about the detector.

Ray Gibbons