Re: British English translation, please

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au,
Subject: Re: British English translation, please
From: "Mike Cogswell" <M.Cogswell@zds.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 18:48:49 EDT
          Will writes:

>The terms in question are "near side" and "off side," meaning as best as I
>can fathom the left and right hand side of the car, from an occupant's
>perspective.  All is fine, except I would guess that the "near" side ought
>to be the driver's side (i.e. the side closest to the driver, which it
>ain't) and the "off" side ought to be the passenger side (the side away
>from the driver, which it ain't, either).  Can anyone who speaks
>non-American English as a native explain?  The only way I can see this
>making sense is from the perspective of a stander-by, on the curb of the
>road.  In that case, the near side is closest to the person and the off
>side is towards the center of the road.  Something tells me I'm getting a
>bit too clever with this explanation, tho.

          I'm hardly a language expert, but I believe the terms
          predate the automobile.  The terms were (and are) used in
          reference to horses, both with and without carrages.  The
          near side is the side from which you mount the horse.  This
          is always the left side.  My Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
          defines near as the left one of a pair and off as the far or
          right side (also as the seaward side!)

          Mike Cogswell  m.cogswell@zds.com