TD's

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TD's
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 08 Nov 1994 09:32:37 -0600
This is in reply to some of Will Zehring's inquiries.  I've owned a TD
('52) since 1976.  Much of the bad stuff is too true, but it _doesn't
matter_.  Slow?  Yes.  They have about a 5.1 rear end.  Quick off the
line, I can chirp the tires in third gear, but once you hit about 40
mph, time stands still.  Eminently unsuited for freeway driving, in
that mine will barely make 65 mph, and it is turning about 4000+ rpm
at 55 mph.  One expects the clutch to explode and wipe out your
kneecaps at any time.  Moss sells a ring and pinion set that will
drop the ratio to about 4.8, which drops the rpm at 55 by about
400.  But you don't want a lower ratio than that (remember, 1250
cc....)  There is no effective weather protection. It seems to operate
on the principle of moreso.  Whatever the condition outside (hot, cold,
wet) inside it's moreso.  There is no heater (altho some aftermarket
units were available), but the waves coming back from the engine
compartment keep you nice and toasty warm, especially on a nice 92
degree summer day.  I have only seen one functional wiper motor in my
life (one area where Lucas really does earn its reputation).  The ride
is very stiff, especially with good shocks.  The handling is
surprisingly good, epecially with good shocks.  The brakes, when properly
set up, are very respectable.  I believe that bad rep arises from cars
that have not had their systems cleaned out in 40+ years (hint: use
silicone fluid).  We haven't mentioned the brutal noise--there's no
point to a radio with 0.020 valve clearances.  Gauges can be repaired
by Nisonger, although you should never expect the speedo to read
correctly, since they were still using up the gears they had for TC's,
which had rather larger wheels.  I am somewhat mystified by "they",
who say that parts are expensive and hard to come by.  Only if you
have been spoiled by Spits and B's.  Moss springs to minds, Abingdon
Spares is quite good, and there are still lots of junkyards with TD
bits.  (Try something easier, like a Mog????  I don't think so...)

It's true that you have to want a T.  But compared with both an A and
a B, they are buckets of fun on backroads when the leaves are turning.
The going rate for a top-notch, non-show T has floated around $10-12K
for nearly 20 years.  Do not expect your investment to appreciate.  As
for the car that Will describes, sight unseen I would peg it at
about $8-9k.  The instrument repair will not be cheap and (in my
experience) it should have radial tires.  Brake job will doubtless be
required, shocks will probably need to be rebuilt and the front swivel
pins and bushings should be rebuilt.  No telling what evil lurks in
the drivetrain, but they are pretty robust.  Good Luck!
                        A. B. Bonds