Re: What are the ingredients in a hot tank?

To: Dennis Wilson <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Subject: Re: What are the ingredients in a hot tank?
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 12:15:26 -31802 (PST)
Dennis,

On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Dennis Wilson wrote:

> Can one make ones own home hot tank??

> Cheers Dennis

        I keep a small armory of caustic and acidic chemicals around for
LBC cleanings.  A few years ago COSTCO (a warehouse store) sold 5-gal
containers of CARBURETOR CLEANER for $17.00 I think I bought 5. Anyway, I
have one 5-gallon can in the house for small stuff, and the rest is
outside in a 55-gal drum for doing flywheels, bellhousings, and other
such big castings.  This stuff will take off paint, but doesn't seem too
acidic.
        I also keep a container of straight battery acid (H2SO4), that I have
drained out of every battery I ever turned in as a core.  Seems to clean
Aluminium quite well.
        Oven cleaner is a good caustic base, but I mostly use it on small
metallic parts.
        Oh, and for general cleaning and entertainment, Laquer Thinner is
a requirement.
        Brakleen is very good for cleaning small switches and stuff;
COSTCO sells this for real cheap. (like 1.50 a can, as opposed to 4.00 at
the auto parts stores)

Good luck, and remember, this stuff is bad news, so if you use it a lot,
you'll ....  um ,  uh,  Hmm, .....    Well anyway, I forgot what I was
saying, just be safe.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6