Re: What are the ingredients in a hot tank?

To: IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU
Subject: Re: What are the ingredients in a hot tank?
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 23:31:28 -0800 (PST)
Dennis Wilson wrote:

> Can one make ones own home hot tank??
>
> If so how?  I know its NaOH, but at what molarity?  At what temp?  Any other
> chemicals?

*** According to ``How to Restore your Collector Car'' by Tom Brownell,
an alkali solution is used to remove grease.  He recommends 6&1/2 ounces of
lye added to two gallons of water in a ten-quart pail. Apparently, it
doesn't eat metal at all, because he also recommends making up & using a
larger batch with the same proportions in a 50-gallon drum.  He also
recommends heating the lye.  You elevate the drum or pail, and build
a fire under it ( or use a propane stove ).  And you use ample safety
garb when dealing with it:  ``rubber gloves, a face shield, full covering
of old clothes, including a plastic or rubber apron''.

  There are more instructions than what I just said: you should really
get the book.

  Once you remove the grease with an alkali, you can remove the rust in
an acid bath.  I use ``metalprep'', diluted as instructed on the bottle.
I keep my metalprep in a hermetically-sealed plastic bucket:  So far its
been sitting there for 5 years, and it still works!

                                  - Jerry Kaidor

p.s.  Make sure you rinse it good between degreasing and derusting, or
you're liable to get splashed!

p.p.s.  Don't derust high-carbon or spring steel:  the acid solution will
eat it alive!  This effect is called ``Hydrogen embrittlement''.  I threw
some split lockwashers in my derusto bath once, just for yucks.  They came
out looking like bits of something that came out of a volcano.