Re: My brakes, again

To: houdini@access.digex.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My brakes, again
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 15:34:18 -0800
In message <199501091850.AA07236@access4.digex.net> Richard Mutt writes:
>       Many thanks to those who responded to my first query; here's my
> latest request for net wisdom:
>       My brakes are soft. '70 B. Pumping them brings pressure up to a
> nice level.  Balance is good, stopping power still good--just a soft
> petal.  It is not:  the physical linkage between petal and master
> cylinder (all new bushings, etc. 2 years ago.)  excessive petal free play
> (adjusted recently)  the flexible hoses  (replaced, same problem but at
> slightly higher--but still soft--pressures)  the booster (there is none)
> rear shoes out of adjustment (adjusted in june and re-checked in january)
>       My sneaking suspicion is that the mastercylinder is going.  I
> don't want to tear into that unless I'm sure, though.  Anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Matt sounds like air in the brake system.  Check all the wheel cylinders for
leaks.      If leaks then rebuild, else have hydrolic system power bled (forcing
fluid in under pressure gets out bubbles that boyancy tends to leve in).
Adjust rear brakes.  Your brakes should be hard & high.  If the problem returns
and there is still no sign of leakage at the wheeels your master cylinder is
leaking.  Replace & get another power bleed.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards