Re: High-mounted brakelights (was Tiger killer)

To: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Subject: Re: High-mounted brakelights (was Tiger killer)
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:24:20 -0800
You know, I've heard of those studies, but I am still skeptical. I guess
if it were /that/ big a deal to me I'd get hold of copies of them and
read them to get an idea of their methods, as I've seen more than one
"study" that was designed to support the author's pet conclusion.
Really, some of the installations are ridiculous - like the Volvo wagons
and Chevy vans that have their light clusters grouped in the upper half
of the rear pillars on either side of the rear window, right up there in
view and all; yet they still have this dinky little center-mounted lamp
at the top of the rear window. The center light is redundant and totally
unnecessary.

My feeling on the subject is based on my personal observations, which
tell me that the high/center-mounted brakelights are not a miracle cure.
If the driver behind you isn't paying enough attention to following
distance and traffic flow to avoid hitting you, the high-mounted light
is not going to help; and if it isn't helping, it isn't necessary.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA

BTW - Please don't take my opinions on this (or any other subject
discussed on the list) as a putdown of yours if I express an opposing
view. I've encountered many situations where different people's feelings
on a subject are based on differing, but valid, viewpoints. Sometimes it
comes down to agreeing to disagree.

gkm