Re: High-mounted brakelights (was Tiger killer)

To: William Hatfield <jhatfield@cavemen.net>
Subject: Re: High-mounted brakelights (was Tiger killer)
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:36:21 -0800
Personally, I've always felt that the high-mounted brakelights were a
waste of time. If the driver behind you doesn't see your conventionally
mounted brakelights, they just aren't paying attention - so another
brakelight, mounted higher and on center, isn't going to make any
difference. There is always the remote possibility that you may spot the
high-mounted brakelight on a vehicle further up through the windows of
the vehicle ahead, but if the vehicle immediately ahead of you is
significantly taller (and if you're in a Roadster, what isn't?) or has
those obnoxious tinted windows, forget it. The installation of the
high-mounted brakelight on some cars is just ridiculous - for example,
the Corvette convertible that was ahead of me in traffic the other day -
the high-mounted brakelight is on center at the top edge of the rear
deck, maybe 6" higher than the conventional lights.

All that having been said, I gotta say that the row of little LED
brakelights in the trailing edge of the rear spoiler on the Honda NSX
looks really sharp!

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA