Gas tank safety

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas tank safety
From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 07:39:27 -0500
Thanks all,
I've decided to take this tank in to the radiator/gas tank shop and have
the pros do the work. The fitting on the other tank has been cross
threaded to the point that it can't be fixed. I can however fit rubber
gas hose over it and install a clamp. That's the way I'll go at this
point.
During my years in Naval Aviation I was a Aviation Structural Mechanic.
One of the many jobs we preformed was to repair aircraft fuel tanks. On
small fighters and attack aircraft the fuel cells are so small it's very
hard to do squadron level repairs. Most of those repairs would be done
by factory people. However, I spent a total of 12 years in a P-3
squadron, the P-3 being a large 4 engine aircraft with large fuel tanks.
If a leak was found in a tank, it would be defueled and a ventura would
be placed on the tank and run for at least 24 hours to vent fumes. Being
that I was a skinny kid of 150 lbs, I got the job of climbing into the
tank and doing the repair. Depending on where the leak was, it could
take me an hour just to get to the leak area. This was done by moving
between the wing supports, up and down, back and forth. Scary! (Most
people stayed away from me because they thought I was nuts for doing
this job with no apparent fear) We used all brass tools and had a crash
truck standing by during the repair. This was done for my safety I was
told but I believe that they were there to help the corpman recover what
would be left of me after the fire was out. You never can get all of the
fuel out of the tank so a mining air mask was used with 4 people on the
repair crew plus myself in the tank.  JP-4 fuel has a higher flash point
then gasoline but once it starts to burn, it burns hotter then gasoline.
I'm glad to say that I was never hurt during these repairs. I have the
greatest respect for all fuels and all of you who responded to my
request for help.
Steve Harvey
1968 2000 solex (No fuel tank)
1970 1600/rotary (No fuel tank)