Re: slipping alt. belt

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: slipping alt. belt
From: Philip Erickson <philip.erickson@Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:24:58 -0700
Daniel,
It is time to replace your fan belt.
If the belt has been slipping, it will glaze the surface of the belt and it will
lose grip..

P.S.  Be careful in the fit.  If my memory is correct, I am getting OLD, many
imports use a belt with 9.5 mm width while domestics usually use 11 mm  ( 7/16 )
wide belts.  IMHO I would use the wider belt, if your alt. has a stock pulley
because the belt might be riding on the bottom of the groove, which will also
cause it to slip when properly tensioned.
Phil

--
Philip Erickson                                  Phone:  (858) 622-7963
Associate Scientist