How long between major breakdowns ?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: How long between major breakdowns ?
From: "Sochoux, Stephan" <SSochoux@dbc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:30:04 -0700
Howdy,

I think i' ve paid my dues to the roadster God. In the last 6000 miles, my
roadster has seen two 5th gear neutrals, new chains, new 1/2 rear main seal
and a rebuilt head (due to a dropped valve seat). Also, falling in the minor
category, new recored radiator, complete brake job, wheel bearings, starter
and master/slave cylinder. I'm sure i'm forgetting something here.  Why
mention all this ?  Well, while driving home last night, i heard a horrible
metallic rumble coming from under the hood while on the 92W 101S connector.
The roadster stalls immediately  and i'm stuck on the connector while cars
fly by me. Luckily, the connector is sloping down so i manage to coast to an
open spot, safe from all the crazed commuters. No visible damage under the
hood but since i don't have my tool box i can't wrench anything. After
waiting 2 hours for a tow, i'm back home ready to start investigating.  I
pull the cam cover and don't see anything wrong. The engine turns manually
but not a complete cycle. I pull the spark plugs one by one and #3 is soaked
wet. With a flash light, i peek in there and Oh NO, i see little chunks !
Looks like another dropped valve seat ? broken rings ? More to come when i
take it apart.
Is this just bad luck or what ? Why causes the valve seats to drop ? Anyone
else with this problem ? Maybe i'll get them all welded if it turns out to
be the problem.
Who has put 50K or 100K trouble free miles on a roadster ?

Stephan
'69 2000 BADROC