Re: How long between major breakdowns ?

To: SSochoux@dbc.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How long between major breakdowns ?
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:24:11 EDT
In a message dated 09/28/1999 10:38:53 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
SSochoux@dbc.com writes:

<< Howdy,

 I think i' ve paid my dues to the roadster God. In the last 6000 miles, my
 roadster has seen two 5th gear neutrals, new chains, new 1/2 rear main seal
 and a rebuilt head (due to a dropped valve seat). Also, falling in the minor
 category, new recored radiator, complete brake job, wheel bearings, starter
 and master/slave cylinder. I'm sure i'm forgetting something here.  Why
 mention all this ?  Well, while driving home last night, i heard a horrible
 metallic rumble coming from under the hood while on the 92W 101S connector.
 The roadster stalls immediately  and i'm stuck on the connector while cars
 fly by me. Luckily, the connector is sloping down so i manage to coast to an
 open spot, safe from all the crazed commuters. No visible damage under the
 hood but since i don't have my tool box i can't wrench anything. After
 waiting 2 hours for a tow, i'm back home ready to start investigating.  I
 pull the cam cover and don't see anything wrong. The engine turns manually
 but not a complete cycle. I pull the spark plugs one by one and #3 is soaked
 wet. With a flash light, i peek in there and Oh NO, i see little chunks !
 Looks like another dropped valve seat ? broken rings ? More to come when i
 take it apart.
 Is this just bad luck or what ? Why causes the valve seats to drop ? Anyone
 else with this problem ? Maybe i'll get them all welded if it turns out to
 be the problem.
 Who has put 50K or 100K trouble free miles on a roadster ?

 Stephan
 '69 2000 BADROC

Stephan,

What causes the valve seats to fall out (at least on the 1600's) is that the
seats were bronze or brass and the head is aluminum. The two metals expand
and contract at different rates and the seats loosen up over time. I had one
fall out a couple of years ago and had just that one replaced then less than
a year later another fell out so I had them all replaced. I think the new
ones they used are iron and work all right with unleaded gas. Sounds like
other things are broken in there. What was the plug soaked with?

Joseph
70 1600
Warren ME