Re: Roadster on Japanese TV

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster on Japanese TV
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:43:23 -0500
>In a message dated 09/03/2000 3:24:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>datsunmike@nyc.rr.com writes:
>
>> The $1G kit is for the one that also controls the fuel injectors. The one
>>  for the timing only is much less.
>
>Ah actually I think you are right. the ignition-only system is about 800
>bucks or so I think? I guess it depends on the application (4, 6, or 8
>banger). I do have a TEC2, but then again, I did buy it used, so it was
>pretty cheap..  :)

I think you'll find the crankfire ignition system going for around $600
for a 4 cylinder. Without looking I remember the coils and control module
going for around $475 with the balance being the crank trigger wheel and
sensor/pickup. I know a number of folks running this system on some
L-4's. It's virtually infinitely adjustable as far as initial and total
advance, along with you're being able to adjust the advance curve
configuration, and it's dead stable from DC to lightspeed.

Actually by the time you buy or rebuild one of the later model magnetic
trigger distributors and get it recurved ($125 to $200?) and buy an MSD
box ($150?) plus odds and ends, you're getting close enough to the cost
of the Electromotive system to give it serious consideration, IMHO.

Interesting (I think) side note. We recently picked up as '92 Buick
Skylark as a commuter car for me. It has the 3.3 liter V-6 which uses
what appears to be the Electromotive multiple coil setup, but with a GM
ECM I'm sure. I'd guess they licensed it from Electromotive. I've thought
about trying to adapt it for our use, but unless you were lucky and found
the Electromotive electronics used, I'd guess it would be more costly and
more trouble than just getting the entire Electromotive set up as a
package.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)