Pressure Tactics

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Pressure Tactics
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 13:49:32 PDT
All,

Well, you can definitly put me down for NOT purchasing that 64 1500 that is
on Yahoo auctions. Turns out that the car is being offered by a "friend" who
just happens to be an auto appraiser for law firms (so he says)

I got TONS of feedback (thanks everyone) about this car, most saying the
same thing: "No non-running car that has been out in the weather and needs
work is worth 2600.00". So I wrote this guy an email saying that rather than
waste his or the owner's time, I would offer 1200.00, leaving some room for
negotiation. I also wrote that he might want to talk to his friend about
setting a more realistic price for the car or starting the auction with a
more realistic amount (Tom Walter's advice by the Way)

His response was that as an "appraiser of cars" for a Law firm, he felt the
car was in the 2500.00 to 3600.00 range and that he had a guy who had
already offered "over 2000.00" for it.

Right.

I told him I was not some rube falling off the turnip truck. The old "I've
got someone coming by later who is interested in the car" gag doesn't work
with me anymore. Neither does bait-and-switch, or the "I've got to get my
boss's/wife's/husband's O.K. on this" routine. It's insulting.

So never fear roadsterites, I WILL get a three seater someday, but one that
is offered for a fair price and that is negotiated in good faith.

It brings up the issue of the rash of people looking for cars right now.
Take your time and get the right one for the right price.

See you on the road,

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex
SoCalROC