Re: Firestone Tires

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Firestone Tires
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:05:42 -0700
If the sidewall rolls enough, the inner shoulder of the tire will come up,
reducing the contact
patch. Yes, the main effect of higher pressure is quicker response to input due
to the stiffer
sidewall. But it's hard to overinflate a radial enough to get it to bulge in
the center and really
reduce the contact patch. When I was autocrossing the SE-R on street tires, I
kept bumping the tire
pressures and it kept sticking better and better. I finally stopped at 50psi.
The BFG R1's, which
were autocross tires, were happiest at 34psi.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org