Re: wooden steering wheel

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wooden steering wheel
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:12:45 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/00 4:51:02 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
hoon@pixar.com writes:

> I've seen a few roadsters out there with wooden steering wheels. What
>  types are there out there for the roadsters, and what caveats should
>  I be aware of when looking (i.e. easy swappable installation).

ICK - personal preference here, but I've had many old British cars w/ wooden
steering wheels. Yes, they look classy, but I can't stand the feel !!!!!
Sweaty/sticky for long, "involved" (ie: fun/heavy cornering) drives. (A good
set of leather driving gloves may alleviate this.) If the car is left out in
the sun much they get icky really quick. Having spent most of my days in damp
WA state, I can tell ya the wet ain't much better for them either.

Got a cheapie fine-grain leather wrap on the stock wheel on my '70 & I like
it just fine.

"Save the trees - avoid wooden steering wheels"
(couldn't resist after the PC halon thing <G>)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311
Chandler, AZ