reply: soft top bow

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: reply: soft top bow
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:40:47 -0700
 .....The center settled, but I think I have finally discovered "the bow",
which now
appears bent all to hell, and now the side clasps won't stay latched. Have
I completely screwed myself, or is there a way or a vendor that can rescue
me from my idiocy?  What I really need is a new top, but I don't have the
funds at this time.  Would any reputable upholstery shop be able to repair
the bow, or have I possibly fried it beyond repair.  What the hell is it
made of anyway.  It feels like metal under the top fabric.  Has anybody
tried to fabricate one out of plastic?
___________________________________

Jon,
the soft top bow is a sheet metal clamshell sort of arrangement, two shaped
skins welded together to give the outer shape for the top and the inner
shape so that the clamp screws get loaded the right way (shear).  It is a
rather long 'beam' for this, and tends to not react well when clamps apply
torque, twisting the shape and starting the fit-up nightmare.
I found my front bow out-of-whack, missing the clamps in a similar manner,
and sent it to CDM, (possibly other vendors have options for this as well)
figuring the 3D shape (and my complete lack of experience with sheet metal)
was beyond me.  I figured it this way: if I spend 3-13 hours, and honk up
one of the three clamps, I've equaled the amount I will spend getting it
done correctly.  Your average upholstery shop will farm out the sheetmetal
work, and without the car to use as a guide, I have no idea how they would
come up with the clamp placement in the right place in 3D space.

Plastic (fiberglass) is something I have been contemplating, and will
attempt.  In order to get the rigidity needed for a seal all the way across,
plus inserts/nutplates for the clamps, it sure isn't gonna be lighter.  If I
was to open up the existing sheetmetal, I would start by putting a good
rust-preventative coat on the inside surfaces, then once closed I would
shoot it full of closed-cell insulation foam, which will help to keep things
stiff and supported.

Good luck,
Fergus O'Farrell
69 2000 (no tops that fit, and when they do- maybe I don't)