Re: Check those brakes!!

To: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Check those brakes!!
From: Nathen Ruffcorn <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:47:41 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks for the replys on this one.  I've come to the conclusion that in fact
the increased rpm WAS due to her heart racing after the sudden stop.  She
has always been known to be a little "high strung" anyway <G>.  I'm still a
little skidish when driving the roadster but believe it or not I'm glad it
happened.  Made me realize how vulnerable we are cruising around in our
little cars.  I've got time to get over it as I'm grounded anyway, waiting
for parts from nissan to replace a rear wheel bearing. Can't wait to tackle
that one!

Nathan

PS.  Remember, don't ignore those brakes..............;-)

From: "Nathen Ruffcorn" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
snip
> P.S.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why my idle jumped from 800 RPM to
2000
> RPM for about 30 seconds after the hard stop and then returned to
normal???
> (not that I plan to make the tire screaching stops a habit <g>)

Hi Nathan-

Contrary to list wisdom, I doubt the car's heart was racing or adrenaline
was pumping.  Unless you have some pretty slick cyborgean aftermarket add
ons, that is;-P

I've experienced the same thing you describe; can't say for certain what
it is, but I'd guess the inertia of stopping so quickly goofs up something.
(duh, going out on a limb there, huh?:-)

It'd have to be either the SU pistons or the floats.  The floats seem like
the most likely culprit, but I don't quite understand how that could be;
maybe- the floats sink from the force, allowing fuel pump pressure
to effectively pressurize the fuel nozzle?

Or the pistons - which are under a variety of forces - gravity, spring,
vacuum.  Seems that stopping rapidly could goof up the sensitive balance,
allowing the carb pistons to rise, feeding the beast more fuel, which
raises engine vac, etc.?

Kyle
'69 2000, iffy brakes, worse engine