Engine Tuning Device

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Tuning Device
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:36:53 -0700
Hello All,

I have seen some of those fuel mixture monitors that interface to O2
sensors, and this seemed like something that might help considerably with
the carb tuning. I am currently in process of designing my own, partly as a
term project and partly because I plan on actually using it. I am actually
adding a few more features to the device to gather a little more
information for diagnostics. The unit in the car will have a bank of LEDs
to indicate fuel mixture, but I am also picking up the RPMs and throttle
position. I have a connection to interface to a computer and have written a
program to continually graph the last 10 seconds worth of data for the fuel
mixture, RPMs and throttle position. I have most of this done already, but
I am doing some things with an electric motor to simulate the results so I
don't have to bring a car into class.

My question is this- Does anybody know of a throttle position sensor that
they think may be adaptable to an SU setup? I could rig up a potentiometer
with some linkage, but I figured that a real throttle position sensor would
be better fit to live in an engine compartment. If anyone has any
suggestions, please let me know.

Brian '68 1600