Another newbie mechanic (and owner)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Another newbie mechanic (and owner)
From: Jason Simpson <jason@xio.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Amy & Erik wrote:

I just bought one of the cars I've been dreaming of owning for four or
five years now: A 1970 Datsun 1600.

I'm interested in doing three things, basically in this order:
  * Getting it running and driving nicely. (Soon)
  * Collecting all the bits and pieces that are missing. (A year or two)
  * Correcting some of the previous owners' mistakes and restoring it as
    much and as well as a complete amateur can. (Three years from now?)

The immediate previous owner only had the car for about two months, but in
that time he fiddled with the carbs a bunch trying to get it running well,
while overlooking the fact that the forward-most manifold bolt was
completely missing and the next one back was stripped. It also received a
quick, very cheap paint job.

Some major items that are missing include: latches for the hardtop,
windshield frame catches for either top, rear bumper, some badges, and the
grille.

I'm an extreme novice at this car maintenance and repair thing, not much
of a mechanic at all, but I'd like to do a lot of the non-bodywork type
stuff myself.

I'm hoping I can come to you all with problems that I need help, advice,
or pointers on while staying true to my goals above.

One of my first problems involves a coolant leak around the temperature
sender unit. Probably I just need to get a new one. Is this kind of part
generally available at your local Schucks/Checker/whatever auto parts
store for these cars?

Also, my tachometer isn't working. I've unscrewed the cable from the back
of the gauge, and it doesn't spin while the engine is running. The other
end of the cable appears to be attached below the distributor. I unscrewed
it there and that end looked okay -- the tab on the rod at the end of the
cable fits into the slot along the shaft. Is running the engine with this
end of the cable unscrewed to see if that part actually turns okay to do,
or will it start pumping out oil?

And finally, I have no garage to work in, just an uncovered driveway and
my wife doesn't really want me to get a canopy cover 'cause she thinks
they're ugly. Any advice? Should I get a canopy anyway?

Any other tips for a very green 1600 owner would also be appreciated.

        Thanks a bunch in advance for your time and patience,
        -jrs, pretty much a complete neophyte

--
No user serviceable parts inside.