(OT) Adhesives, or Making Velcro Stick & Radar Stuff

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: (OT) Adhesives, or Making Velcro Stick & Radar Stuff
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:11:53 -0500
Here's a non roadster specific question which may be of general interest.
I use pieces of 1 inch and 2 inch Velcro (loops side on the mounting
surface) to hold various things like microphones and radar detectors to
car dashes and consoles. Usually I use clear RTV silicone and it works
fine. However on the dash of the Skylark that we recently bought as a
driver, the silicone doesn't want to stick.

The dash surface is very smooth, particularly in comparison to our Honda
van where the silicone worked great, and I cleaned the area well before
attaching the Velcro. The second time I used lacquer thinner, let the
whole thing flash off for a couple of days before using it, and the
Velcro loop piece still pulled off the dash in a short time. Might a
contact cement work better? Thought the more chemically inclined folks on
the list might have a suggestion.

I just set the radar detector on the top of the dash and the Velcro keeps
it there. Putting it on the dash top avoids all of the wires hanging
across the windshield and I doubt it degrades performance at all. Just
for information, my radar detector is the last Escort (model, not brand)
offered by Cincinnati Microwave before they became Escort. Michael
Valentine, the guy behind the Valentine One, was one of the founders of
Cincinnati Microwave. Being an older model, it doesn't have the latest
bells and whistles, but it's excellent non the less. However the last two
speeding tickets I've received, I probably would had been nailed even
with a Valentine One since they used instant on radar. Top a hill, round
a corner, the officer triggers the radar, and you're caught. Having one
of these things isn't a substitute for using your head when you push the
envelope. Buying a cheap one is a waste of money. You might as well save
the money to pay fines and higher insurance. On the other hand the Escort
has saved my butt dozens of  times. I think I paid around $250 for it
almost 10 years ago. I know it's paid for itself many times over.

The two tickets were far enough apart time wise that I was able to take
defensive driving both times, but if I'd had to pay the tickets they
would have been $150 to $200, for 75-80 in a 55 zone. At those prices if
you're going to risk fines like that (they're probably more today) I'd
strongly suggest spending the $375 or so Valentine gets for his box. If
it saves you a couple of $150 tickets, not to mention the insurance rate
increases, it's worth it.

Didn't mean to ramble but FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)