Re: (OT) Drill Bits

To: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Subject: Re: (OT) Drill Bits
From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:31:49 -0500
Hi Ronnie,
My background is as a machinist and a cutting tool manufacturer's rep. Most
of the hardware store/Sears drill bits are not that good. Even the top of the
line bits sold at detail are less in quality then what a machine shop would
buy. Better metal and grinding are the key. The way around that however is if
you can hand sharpen your own drills. Keeping a lower quality bit shape is
the answer. It takes time to develop the technique to properly shapen a drill
bit. The standard angle is 118 degrees (included) or 59 degrees for each
cutting edge. You can buy, or for that matter, I have a few drill bit angle
templates left over from my sales days. I'll send you one if you give me your
address. Just remember, you'll need a good flat dress on the grinding wheel
and several old drills to practice with. I'd start with a big drill, 1/2"
verses a 1/8" to practice with.
Good luck
Steve Harvey
Milwaukee (COLD)