Re: (OT) Drill Bits

To: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: (OT) Drill Bits
From: svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:34:30 -0800
Properly sharpening a drill bit certainly does take practice, and a very light
touch. In
the machinist's apprenticeship program I was in while in junior college, one of
the skills
the students were required  to develop was hand-sharpening drill bits. The
instructor gave
each student three bits encompassing a range of sizes. We had to sharpen them
and drill a
hole with each of them in a block of mild steel. The instructor miked the
holes, and we
only passed if the hole miked out at no more than .003" over the nominal drill
size.

Better if you didn't have your morning coffee that day - shaky hands = bad
sharpening job!

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA