Re: 2L Head gasket

To: "Ben Zech" <motormite@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2L Head gasket
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:28:43 -0800
I hate to sound like a Know it all, but I would hate to say nothing and find
that my advice could have helped someone from redoing their Head Torque Job.
1- Most head Gaskets today have a sealant from the Factory.  If it is blue
it has the sealant.  If you are not sure, ask the person that you bought the
Gasket from.
2- Torque the head in the right sequence.
3- Torque in three stages. First, put all the bolts in down to the head to
just touching the head.  Then moving the bolts 1/4 turn on each of them in
sequence with just finger pressure on the ratchet, going around until you
can no longer use finger pressure, then Torque all the bolts 45 lbs.- then
55 lbs. - then final 65. lbs  It is VERY Important that you compress the
metal gasket around each cylinder slowly and evenly.  Then after 500 miles
of driving, retorque to 65 again.  Then again after 500 miles, if the Torque
Wrench moves tightening it more, then try again after another 500 miles.
Chances are that you will not have to do it a third time, but check it
anyway.
Then do not forget to use Distilled Water in the radiator, with a 50%
solution of a good Antifreeze(Prestone)
Do not run the engine with Just water, as the Anti freeze Lubricates the
Water Pump.  Then, Good Luck also. Pat