Re: iron head

Subject: Re: iron head
From: Christopher Coker <cfcoker@home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:37:59 -0400
I have to agree here.  Aluminum's heat dissipation qualities are preferred
over those of cast iron.  You save a significant amount of weight too.  Make
sure the cooling system is up to the task of the increased hp, and warping
shouldn't be a problem.

I have a cast iron head on my race car right now, but only because that's
the way the car came.  I have three bare aluminum cylinder heads as spares.
When I build up the three-main motor over the winter, it will have an
aluminum head on it.  Right now I'm hoping to get 140-160 horsepower, and
will go up from there.
> From: "Henry Bahn" <hbahn@home.com>
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:17:13 -0400
> To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
> Subject: iron head
>
> We had this discussion about a year ago, and Joe Hauser pretty much put it
> to rest.  The alum.head has better heat dissipation, not worse, than the
> cast iron head, and is not more likely to warp.  Claims of increased HP from
> the iron head just ain't so.  I don't think anyone is using CI heads for
> competition roadsters.

Happy roadstering,
--
Chris Coker