RE: iron head

To: "'Adam Bradley'" <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: iron head
From: "Notebaart, Tom E (STP)" <Tom.Notebaart@guidant.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:51:25 -0500
Aluminum heads warp due to a difference in TCE (thermal coefficient of
expansion) between the aluminum head and the CI block.  Aluminum expands at
about twice the rate as CI.  Under normal operating temperatures the head
will expand about .0007 inches more than the block.  The design takes this
into account.  If the engine overheats, this difference increases, and since
the head bolts don't allow the head to move, the aluminum will warp (it's
got to go somewhere!).  Since a CI head matches the TCE of the CI block,
this combination will not warp.  Since I have removed, flattened and
replaced the head on my '70 1600 several times after the engine overheated,
my preference for day to day driving would be for the CI head!  Either that
or NEVER let your roadster overheat!

Tom Notebaart
'70 1600
'69 2000