Re: What the?!?!?!

To: L Jordan <ay107@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: What the?!?!?!
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:49:16 -0700
Well, for one thing it was done in a sloppy and un-workmanlike manner - holes
drilled roughly
around the perimeter of the opening and the middle hacked out with the edge
left rough. That
kind of sloppy work is likely to be reflected elsewhere in the vehicle (look
out for duct
tape!). I'm not sure what one would expect to be able to inspect through such
an opening,
either. The flywheel's friction surface is covered by the clutch disc - maybe
one would be able
to see the springs in the pressure plate assembly - but if visual inspection in
this area was
something that was necessary and desirable, the capability to do so would have
been built in by
the manufacturer. In addition, the "cover" for the hole didn't look to be too
securely fastened
or well-sealed around the edges - a sure way to let dirt or other gunge in to
the area.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA