Re: Roll Bar Installation

To: "Mike Harper" <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Roll Bar Installation
From: "Pre-Zee" <Pre_Z@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:12:26 -0800
Mike,

I haven't done it but I'll throw out my 2cents anyway.

I think you don't want anything between the base of the bar & the car metal.
Between the thickness of the carpet + the thickness of the padding you have
some squishy mass.  You could tighten down that bar 'real good', but when it
gets put to actual use I think the mass between bar & car would allow a
little bit of flex.  A little flex leads to movement which could be
amplified in a rollover causing the rollbar to give you less than 100%.
Probably a negligible difference in performance, but we are talking about
YOUR brain bucket here.

ME, I would lay the carpet first to mark it - I would want my cut-out in the
carpet perfect which I think will be hard to achieve if the bar is installed
first.

My 2cents, lay carpet, mark where rollbar will be, remove carpet, install
rollbar, double check markings, cut & install carpet.  More work, but a well
done job always seems to be.

Now I'll show my novice, don't you weld the base of the rollbar to the car
as well as the bolts?  I'd want that thing super attached, not just relying
on some cheapie bolts & nuts.

Oh, say, in the Rallye catalog they mentioned reinforcing under the car body
where you attach the rollbar.  As I recall when he (well a Mustang driver
actually) rolled his roadster he found pulls in the pan where the rollbar
bolts were trying to rip out of the pan.  I recall a note about tacking on
some extra steel underneath to disperse load.

George M