More on hoisting brackets+

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on hoisting brackets+
From: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 08:21:51 -0800
The old saying is: "The Devil is in the details!"

Like John Hogan, the engine hoisting brackets (eyelets) are
missing from my engine (R16).
I brought this up to the list a while back, and got great
references to pictures in the parts book showing me what the
eyelets look like and where they attach to the engine.
So, I have a pretty good idea of where they connect to the
engine with a head bolt (front and rear.)

Here is my question:
Does this mean the aluminum head has to be removed in order
to install the lifting brackets, or can I simply take the
rear bolt out install the bracket and torque it back down,
and repeat the process for the front of the engine?

In other words, assuming nothing else is touched or moved,
will the remaining (untouched) head bolts hold the head in
position without warping or damaging the head and avoid the
time and cost (gasket) of head R&R?

Also, since the head is aluminum and the eyelets and bolts
are steel, what precautions, (gaskets?, washers?,
anti-seize? or a sealer of some kind due to engine fluids?),
are needed to avoid electrolysis and seizure problems.  I
almost always use anti-seize unless doing so would cause a
problem (like some bolts that go into the water jacket?),
but I don't know if anti-seize does much to prevent
electrolysis problems, and I am very worried about galling
the fastener(s).

TIA

Bob Giel
'66' SPL311-05249,  Los Angeles
--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool!