Re: Rollbar Installation

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rollbar Installation
From: "SCHMITT, JOHN, NTCOM" <jschmitt0@att.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:40:08 -0500
When I installed my rollbar, it was for Solo 1 autox at a small road course.
Midwest Council is the sanctioning body and they recommended using a full back
plate at all 4 mounting points.  I took the rollbar to a local welding shop and
he cut and drilled 6 inch heavy steel plates to match up with the rollbar
bases.  I then used #8 nuts and bolts.

I also took the rollbar to Andresen Engineering that builds Formula Fords and
does lots of racecar mods and had them sleeve and then add 2 inches to the
height of the full bar.  I can still raise and lower the top(one side of the
top frame must be removed to get it up over the bar) but it gives me a full 2
inches above my head with my Simpson on.  This 2 inches is also a requirement
of MC.   I spent about $120 doing these mods but if you need a rollbar for
anything other than looks, it is a good idea.

When I asked my friend Dennis Tobin, another Roadster guy, about spending all
of this money on the rollbar and the best helmet, he said "its you head, how
much is it worth?".

John Schmitt
847-458-7829
Cell