Re: Rollbar Installation

To: "SCHMITT, JOHN, NTCOM" <jschmitt0@att.com>,
Subject: Re: Rollbar Installation
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:28:48 -0500
Sometimes it pays off to be short.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "SCHMITT, JOHN, NTCOM" <jschmitt0@att.com>
To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 10:40 AM

> When I installed my rollbar, it was for Solo 1 autox at a small road
course.  Midwest Council is the sanctioning body and they recommended using
a full back plate at all 4 mounting points.  I took the rollbar to a local
welding shop and he cut and drilled 6 inch heavy steel plates to match up
with the rollbar bases.  I then used #8 nuts and bolts.

> I also took the rollbar to Andresen Engineering that builds Formula Fords
and does lots of racecar mods and had them sleeve and then add 2 inches to
the height of the full bar.  I can still raise and lower the top(one side of
the top frame must be removed to get it up over the bar) but it gives me a
full 2 inches above my head with my Simpson on.  This 2 inches is also a
requirement of MC.   I spent about $120 doing these mods but if you need a
rollbar for anything other than looks, it is a good idea.

> When I asked my friend Dennis Tobin, another Roadster guy, about spending
all of this money on the rollbar and the best helmet, he said "its you head,
how much is it worth?".