Re: <OT> babbit bearing inspection

To: <SPL311RDST@aol.com>
Subject: Re: <OT> babbit bearing inspection
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:57:18 -0600 (CST)
Laurie,

I don't find any reference that says that you CAN'T inspect babbit
bearings the same way you would shell bearings. All the references that I
looked at were for babbit that was cast onto shells. Some old engines and
stationary equipment cast the babbit directly into the rod or block that
holds the bearing, but I couldn't find anything that addressed this type.
I seem to recall that when you cast the babbit directly into its holder
that you have to crack the bearing in half so you can install the bearing
onto the shaft. Stationary woodworking equipment used this kind of
bearing, but they didn't have to break the bearing because they just
slipped the shaft through the bearinga after honing.

Have you tried contacting one of the VERY antique car/tractor lists to see
what they know?

Good luck!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner