brakes frustration

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: brakes frustration
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:01:51 -0800
Okay, done 'the drill', now soliciting suggestions.
Background: 69 2000.  Brakes were squishy, leaked fluid onto my shoes while
driving.  Bought a rebuild kit, found that PO (or someone) had left one
entire piston out of previous rebuild.  Bought a new mast cyl (thanks Stan)
and installed and bench bled.  At same time, installed Speedbleeders.  Since
lots of air after rebuild, had to switch back to regular bleeders to flush
large quantity of air, then switch back. (switching not a big deal, and
definitely worth it)  yah, handbrake handle does have a long stroke, but
rears are adjusted tight.  I think I'm doing the bleed drill correct.
Adjust rear close as possible.
bleed in this order: RR, LR, RF, LF (longest lines to shortest lines.  yes,
m/c is on left, but line junction is on right, so right lines are shorter
than lefts)
Current situation:  Brakes stop ok, but still 3-4 inches of travel.  No
matter how much I bleed, it doesn't improve.  I am familiar from
pre-roadster days of bleeding and having it better for a few days, then get
gradually worse, but I'm not even getting that. Yes, I can sit in the driver
seat and watch the m/c move when I press, but it's not that much (~1/4" rise
of end of cyl at full strength pump).
Most probably calipers gone sour with time?
Still scratching my head, Fergus O, HB, CA