Re: brakes frustration

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brakes frustration
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:06:29 -0800
Fergus,
Sounds like you are doing everything right, a few things you might try:
1) pump slowly and gently, otherwise you can create very small air bubbles
that are difficult to remove.
2) when you're bleeding the front brakes, smack the caliper cylinders with
*plastic* hammer or a 2x4. These big cylinders and those loopy lines tend to
trap bubbles. Also because of the large cylinder volume you need to move a
lot of fluid through them to get all the air out. Usually takes me about a
quart of fluid to get things clear.
3) you said you adjusted the rears tight, but still have a lot of parking
brake travel. Since you have driven the car, readjust the rears, the brakes
seat in (re-align) after first use and may need to be re-adjusted. If you
still have a lot of parking brake travel, you need to adjust the cable
length under the right rear of the car.

One last thing, this won't cause the pedal travel problem you are dealing
with, but important just the same -- since you installed a new master
cylinder, check the pedal free play. Free play should be 5/16" to 7/16", and
is adjusted with shims. Too much free play limits the total travel and hurts
brake performance, too little free play can prevent the brakes from
releasing, causing excessive wear and potentially a brake fire. Good luck.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
2x '68 2L