Re: Oil Pressure Sender Grounded Stops the Engine??

To: <Geegc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Sender Grounded Stops the Engine??
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:53:04 -0600 (CST)
Gary,

According to the wiring diagram that I am looking at for 66/67 roadsters
the wire that goes to the oil pressure sender is Yellow/black. That wire
should come out of the harness and go to the oil sender on the lower edge
of the block, just behind the alternator. This wire should no connect to
anything else in the engine compartment. From your discription it seems
that your is also connected to the points in the distributor, which
shouyldn't be. The stock point wire is Black and should connect to
the screw on the side of the distributor, go into the harness for a few
inches and then connect to the - terminal on the coil. There is a
Black/White wire on the + terminal of the coil that goes to the ballast
resistor mounted under the coil. The other terminal on the ballast
resistor should also be Black/White. With the key on you should have 12V
at one end of the ballast resistor, and, depending on whether the points
are open or closed, either 12V or about 6V on the other end.

As for the oil sender, I am at work now and can't get to the car until
this evening. The resistance of the sender is quite low as I recall. The
gauge is current operated, which doesn't need a great swing in resistance
to work.

If you don't have a wiring diagram for your car you can find one on line
at http://home.istar.ca/~datsun/wiring.htm and click on the diagram of
choice.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner