Oil Pressure Sender Grounded Stops the Engine??

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pressure Sender Grounded Stops the Engine??
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:27:56 EST
Oil Pressure Sender Grounded Stops the Engine??

I have been putting the 1966 Red 1600 back together for months, and had it
running a few weeks ago (albeit badly).  I continued to hook up the electrics
and seemed to have it all back OK when I tried to start the engine again.

No spark.

I checked the coil -- had voltage.  I checked the ignition wires, OK.  And
there was voltage to the top of the dizzy (I have an old Allison electronic
ignition).  So what could be the problem?

Then I looked at the yellow black wire to the oil pressure-sending unit that
connects with a screw into the top of the round silver part below the dizzy
and at the back of the engine.  Was that connected when it last started?
Don't think so, so perhaps I'll take it off.  Wow, the engine turned right
over and started again.

Question -- what is the relationship between connecting the yellow black wire
to the oil pressure sending unit and the ignition not firing?  And what's
going on with the sending unit -- it appears to be grounded even where the
wire connects.  Shouldn't there be some resistance between the sending unit
pick up and the frame?

Could someone with an ohmmeter and the same type of oil pressure unit tell me
what resistance they get from the pick up wire to the chassis?  Does it have
voltage when the power is on?  I may have a short or be missing an insulator
down there.

Thanks.  I want to get this puppy running again so I can make it to Slovang.

Gary C
Red one
Black one