Re: Driving Question

To: "Ryan Bird" <birdman@myrealbox.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving Question
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:51:15 -0500
Many moons ago I worked in the tread design office at BFG.  The phenomena
you are describing was referred to in house as rain groove squiggle - I
know, a highy technical term - but we had several computer simulations that
were used to evaluate a new tread design for things like dry traction, wet
traction, snow traction, tire noise on various aggregates, etc. and rain
groove squiggle was another.

The rain grooves in the roadway, which were either cut into  existing
pavement, or formed when a new slab was being floated, are intended to
channel away water in heavy rain areas to prevent hydroplaning.  The cause
of squiggle it is the relationship of the tread pattern edges to the
grooves - the edges of the tread blocks deflecting and "falling off" the
raised ribs between the grooves.  Different tread patterns react differently
to these grooves.  Tires that have distinct circumferential grooves are more
prone to squiggle, and those with more random, multiangled main grooves (
like most general purpose all -season tires) are less suseptible.

Worst personal experience was on an old Triumph Daytona, with those old bias
ply front tires with the narrow circumferential grooves....
first time I encountered one of the "new" grooved freeways back in the late
70's, the bike started swaying like a drunken sailor.  Had to send my jeans
to the cleaners...........

Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH