Re: pistons anyone?

To: roadsterregistry@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pistons anyone?
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:04:23 EST
In a message dated 4/5/02 12:45:51 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
roadsterregistry@yahoo.com writes:

> Once again, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
> But I am trying to get some pistons in my block without taking the
> motor out and without going to a machine shop.
> I've heard that you have to have a special tool to get the pistons
> pressed or some such stuff.

Been there.. done that.. had a ring let go and pop out through the top of the
piston one Friday, and being my only car at the time had to have it ready to
go on a Monday.  I had a spare block, w/ pistons ready to go so I did the
same "quickie swap" that you're proposing.  Make sure that when you get
pistons that they came out of the same # 'd hole if at all possible- look on
the deck of the block for number stamps- these are not the 1-2-3-4 order, but
Nissan "sized" them when putting them in.  If you get one that's a little
off, you could end up w/ a knock. I don't remember exact details for the
wrist pin, but we did it late at night w/ reg garage tools.. you may need a
vise & wood blocks to get it apart. You may wanna do rod bearings while
you're down there if you havent done them recently (time/$$ considered)

I did this *many* miles ago & my car is still going strong, but,  remember,
this sorta fix is really just a big band-aid and you don't know what you're
getting until it's all back together ! ( read: do it right the first time if
you can)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC