warped heads

To: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>,
Subject: warped heads
From: "Peter Long" <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:02:51 -0400
Jim,

something to consider if you find your head is twisted/warped or
otherwise not flat where it should be:  have it straightened before even
considering milling either side of it.  I had this done to a head once,
and ended up not needing to mill anything at all.  As I recall, it was
not expensive.  Saves the dread retarded cam timing and floppy chain
syndrome due to a thinner head!

Also remember to check parallel between the top surface and bottom
surface, if possible with the head torqued to a known perfectly flat
surface...can make a difference between snapping your cam and not.  You
can guess how I know this!

Pete Long